Free Language Translator
Professional-grade language translation services for the web
- Category Language & Translation
- Program license Free (GPL)
- Version 3.9.11
- Size 2.44 MB
- Works under: Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 / Windows Vista / Windows XP
- Program available in English
- Program by Decebal Mihailescu
Free Language Translator is a free tool from Google that lets you instantly translate between two languages when reading foreign websites or speaking to friends and family online in another language.
Though Google has a separate online translation tool, using that tool is fairly difficult. It works best for translating just a few words or one simple phrase at a time. If you need to know how to tell someone hello, ask a friend how his or her day was or find out the meaning behind a simple sentence, that tool is fine. If, however, you want to send and receive emails or chat instantly online, you're better off using the Free Language Translator.
The tool is great because it comes with two large boxes that appear on the screen when you open it. You can type exactly what you want to say in the box on the left side, but you can also copy and paste text into that box. Copying and pasting lets you use Microsoft Word or a similar document editing program to look for any spelling or grammar mistakes first.
After entering your text, choose the appropriate language settings from the drop down menus at the top of the screen. You use the first menu to select the language you used and the second menu to select how you want it translated. The tool will instantly translate your text into a new language. You can also use the tool to translate messages that you receive from others from the language they use to your own native language. Free Language Translator supports 40 different languages.
It also comes with a corrections feature that will keep track of words that you commonly misspell in another language and automatically change that word in the future. Another feature lets you add new phrases or words to your own dictionary. Once you finish translating your work, you can copy and paste your work in an email message or chat window.
As this tool uses Google, you'll need to have an internet connection to use it. Any disruptions in your speed or a lost signal will keep the tool from working. You may also find that it does not offer support for the exact language that you need. For translating between 40 different languages through Free Language Translator is a great choice.
- Lets you translate between 40 different languages
- Can create email messages in a new language
- Works with text you type or copy into the provided box
- Can use it online to instantly translate a word you come across into your native language
- Performs some translations in minutes or seconds
- Lets you create your own custom dictionary for use online
- Must have an internet connection to use it
- Can translate more slowly when internet speeds are slow
- Disruptions in internet signal will keep it from translating